Thursday, September 15, 2022

Special Education: what is it, relevant plans, why is it important, and my personal experiences

Special education is defined as a customized instructional program designed to meet the unique needs of an individual learner. This may necessitate the use of specialized materials, equipment, services, and teaching strategies. Some examples of related services include speech therapy, occupational therapy, and psychological services. The services and accommodations may be outlined in either an Individualized Education Program or a 504 plan. Individualized Education Programs are mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, more commonly known as IDEA. 504 plans are required under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To qualify for services under IDEA, the student must fall within one of 13 disability categories. If you do not qualify for services under IDEA, you may qualify for section 504 services. Prior to 1975, special education services were very limited. Students with disabilities were mostly educated from home because legislators believed they had no chance of succeeding in the free public education system. This topic is important in the education field because it has changed the way students with disabilities have been educated, starting with Brown vs. Board of Education in 1954. This case paved the way for parents to advocate for students with disabilities to receive the same quality education as peers without disabilities. There were several special education protests to celebrate both successes and wrongdoings of the public when it came to disability access.

Protesters with disabilities celebrating section 504.


I have had a wide array of experiences receiving special education services. I started in infancy, when I had an Individualized Family Service Plan, also known as an IFSP. At the age of three, I attended Fort Sanders Educational Development Center. During my time there, I was evaluated by the Child Find Staff. The results of the evaluation determined that I required special education because of autism. Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects communication and the way that the affected person perceives the world around them. An Individualized Education Program was drafted to help me be successful in school. However, getting my teachers to follow the IEP was a struggle. Most of my teachers thought I would not be mainstreamed until the third grade. My parents advocated for me to be mainstreamed starting in kindergarten. As a result of this advocacy, I was mainstreamed from kindergarten onwards. Oftentimes, my teachers would say "no, we cannot provide that service," even though it was necessary and appropriate. A valuable lesson I learned from this is to stand firm for what is right. My belief in this topic is that we should start acceptance of students with disabilities and include them in school activities with the appropriate supports. This has resulted in my passion for special education law and advocacy for the inclusion of students with disabilities.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wrap-up: a summary of other students' blogs

       Education blogging, in my words, means sharing your ideas about education on a blog. The number of education bloggers is increasing d...